Monday, March 10, 2014

Just an update....or maybe just a few words.....

Happy Spring, right? Well....for a few days from where I sit atleast. The birds are chirping, the trees are sprouting, I have daffodils sprouted with buds, and another spring bulb that has sprouted....either an allium or hyacinth.




I saw Dr. Dy approximately a week or so ago, and I wanted all my bloodwork printed off....he seemed like he didn't want to give it to me and told me everything was perfect. White count is up, platelets are raising, all is good. I asked what the Alk Phosphatase was and he stated it wasn't back yet.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm.  So, the next day I called and asked them to fax it to me. Nothing was out of sorts in the tests.....the alk phos is staying about the same as the last couple of years (about the same as it has been all along)  but my dr says not to pay much attention to it as it isn't nearly bad enough to worry about at this point. He thinks I will go back to Houston and things will be stable. He also says I look too good for things to be bad. He states I am beautiful with my new hair coming in...and I responded kiddingly with "Don't be hitting on me just because my husband isn't with me today." We had a good laugh and he told me kiddingly to get out of his office and LIVE!.....He bought one of my children's books as did the lab tech. Ba-da-bing!




Speaking of the children's book....Irene and the Crooked Little House. I read it to the 1st Graders in Mrs. Horstmeyer's class last week at St. Joe. The Olney Daily Mail took our pic...it was a really good experience and the kids had really great questions to ask me. It was just an enjoyable morning. Our books are selling like hotcakes but they always do at first. I was at a local bakery last Friday and Janet David asked if I had them (I had some in the car). I went and grabbed one for her and the next thing I know....I had sold 9!! I also donated some pictures to the St. Joe Art Auction and they didn't do half bad.




Our Italian Beef Fundraiser is this coming Wednesday from 4-8 at The Gypsy (where else ;-) .  We will have carry outs available and plenty of meat this year so we WILL NOT run out. The beef costs  really gave us a big "spanking" this year so please feel free to tip those good looking waitresses well (they are giving all tips to our Relay team-as usual). A HUGE shout out to my friend Bob (the cook at the Sr. Center) for asking for donations to help buy a lot of the extra stuff!!  Thank you ALL!!  I also received checks to help with buying stuff from other friends and friends of my children....WOW.....just WOW! I am beyond blessed with generous people stepping up to help pull this fundraiser off in a few days!! I am a little stressed about it but everything always falls into place....and it will this week....we just need lots of people to get out and support us!!




A new GP!! General Physician!  Dr. Houston has left to live an adventure in Saudi Arabia (to teach) so I have been wondering where I would find someone with the qualities I was looking for in a dr. One who knows I don't call unless there are RED FLAGS in the pupils of my eyes. After talking to Dr. Dy and telling him I knew of the doctor I wanted but he wasn't accepting new patients. Well, come to find out, Dr. Dy is friends with the doctor I wanted, so he made a call and I see him this coming Wednesday. It's one of those "setting up status, filling out MORE paperwork, and just knowing if I need something, he will be there" kind of visit. I'll keep you posted once I have met him!!




IF you are needing one of my books, you can go to Roll With It Bakery and pick one up. I am still taking a few around and I know a lot will pick them up at our Italian Beef Night. ONCE our fundraiser is over, I will mark people off the list and then start calling the ones that requested a book long ago, and start getting books to those people. IF you are not contacted, please fell free to call or catch one of the girls OR go to Roll With It.




For all of the Cholangiocarcinoma people who read the blog, I am doing great!!  I feel good, people say I look good, and I just am taking it and running with it. In about an hour, I want to take a walk and get some fresh air in my lungs. Pat and I feel from some remarks made by my dr in Houston, that IF cancer would pop up in another organ, it might be the lungs...or one lung. So, they told me the signs to be aware of IF it might go to my lungs. I will see today as I walk briskly, if I am short of breath. I have had some sinus drainage but NO COUGH (another sign it might be traveling to my lungs). I am thinking positive and you know what.....IF it happens, it happens. God has always been there, and we will catch it fast enough to stomp on it like a grass fire!!




Wedding dress shopping is over and chandelier hunting is over!!! Two biggies we were stressing over for Samantha's wedding. Amy is due with a little boy on April 30.....   I had the pleasure of keeping Amity (Jenn & Bart's little girl) ALL NIGHT this past weekend. I mean, I couldn't believe I was qualified to keep Amity (5 mo. old) all night but it went as smooth as peanut butter! AND, they got to let loose and enjoy their self for a night at the art auction!! They are just really protective and want to spend every minute with her.




That's about it for now. I am doing well, I have a short, SHORT pixie hair style....gray in color which is new but who really cares over such little things! I feel great....but when I get a little pain here or there...it kind of makes me stop and think...could that be something growing that shouldn't be?


In life, there are NO guarantees!  I must march on to the beat of the drum that I am always referring to. I thank God for every day, every minute, every second that I can put one foot in front of the other.




In closing, I want to address something very quickly. I have been addressed by someone who asked why I helped raise money for the American Cancer Society as they thought "not THAT much money went to research". My only response was...I feel if we find a cure for one cancer, it will hopefully be a domino effect and one day find a cure for bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma). I mean...we have to start somewhere...Only appr. 2% of money goes for research for bile duct cancer (probably because there are only 2,000 diagnosed each year. It is so rare so why spend lots of money on us when there are more common cancers who get the bulk of money for research. Maybe at our own Relay in May, I will ask someone to explain to me where all the money goes....if there is a brochure to show it all in print? I have never made it a secret that a small portion of what our team raises each year, goes to The Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation. I am proud to say my dr is one of the doctors involved in the Foundation. When I need to research a drug, or side effects, or a new clinical trial....the Cholangiocarcinoma Foundation is where I look to....that is ALL they talk about. To go to The ACS website, you will not find a lot about bile duct cancer.  I feel God is telling me to do more. To do something local after my talk with this friend. So, In April, I will start looking for people/businesses to do something or for ideas to make my idea a reality for cancer patients in my hometown. Something so small for businesses but something SO BIG for a cancer patient. Keep you posted!!






Spring blessings to all of you!!




Patty Corcoran

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patty!

    I'm a first cousin to your Aunt Belinda. I was just telling her about having been born with a Choledochal Cyst. I had it removed this April. I was blessed to have a wonderful surgeon who is skilled in liver problems.

    So far no cancer. It has been a long drawn out illness, but nothing compared to what you have been suffering.

    Our Lord is faithful to His people! God bless you and your family. I pray that He will heal you completely so that you will be a constant example of His grace.

    ReplyDelete