Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Just one more blessing on my cancer journey.

I arrived in Houston Monday evening and made a delivery to Linda Burgener about 7 p.m. We decided a Minchies (ice cream place) was on the "to-do" list for the evening. We ended up staying the night with Linda but left for early appointments at 7:45 at MD Anderson. I had the usual bloodwork, resting EKG (which I told them I didn't have a heart....but they found one). Saw clinical trial nurses, doctors, PA'S, and learned a wealth of information about the NCI MATCH Program. I was able to meet up with two patients who are good friends in the CC world. We like our pow wows any chance we can get. Ron (Dr. Javle's nurse) saw me while Pat went wandering and came to sit beside me in a chair and a half type chair/couch. He squeezed in right beside me and we laughed and talked about why I was there....people always stare a bit but I could care less. Ron makes my heart smile....he is more than a nurse at MDA....he is a friend!
Biopsy day was today and I was a little concerned since it was a little risky. I had to lay flat on my stomach and arms above my head and NO MOVING once they started CT scans. I have black marker drawings all over my back and an X. The heart monitor kept going off and they were very concerned why my heart rate was so low. I told them I was fairly active and it has been low for years due to being pretty athletic for a cancer patient (and a fat one at that). They said they would only be able to give me half the amount of light sedative to make me relax but at the same time keep me completely awake. Ummm, OK.   We proceeded and once I was given the sedative, the dr began inserting a needle to numb the 7 inches she was going to be sticking the needle. Only once did I say "Um...that hurts a little". She said I should be numbing up rather quickly and to just hang in there. Still wide awake, the heart monitor was becoming a nuisance beeping all the time but a nurse kept constant watch over my heart rate. The lowest it got was 39....but mostly stayed in the low 40's. It wasn't long and I heard the clicking so I knew she was gathering the biopsies needed for the MATCH Program. From the time I was waiting to be taken back for the biopsy to the time I was back in my room, was 45 minutes!  IN & OUT!  As they were rolling me into the surgery room, I told the little 5 foot Asian lady dr she wasn't strong enough to get through the layers of fat on my lower back to get to the lymph node. She informed me it didn't take strength, it took "finesse"....and she sure proved that today in the skill and ability she showed to get in and out as soon as possible.  We stopped at Olive Garden on the way home and had an early supper. Then back to the hotel to rest and watch a little tv. Things went great...and now it is about a 3 week waiting period to get the results back. Then, we attack that lymph node and hope nothing else pops up in the meantime since I have been off the BGJ 398 trial for a little over 3 weeks. We will start for home sometime tomorrow.
Another journey is on the horizon for me. Another cancer plan and hopefully one that will show promising results to stop the node from growing or spreading. Another journey that I will take with God beside me. Another journey I am thankful for with Him by my side!
Goodnight for now, time to sleep and let the healing begin where that needle went in 7 inches!!

Thanks for all the calls, texts, and messages!!



  1. Safe trip home, Patty. Glad the biopsy is over.

  2. Safe trip home, Patty. Glad the biopsy is over.

  3. Way to go girl you are amazing keep her strong Dear Lord keep wrapping your arms around her and keep the courage thru you coming. You are our strength in time of need. Love you Lord and LOVE you Lady!!!