Thursday, July 28, 2011

It was a long day in Effingham!

My appointment for chemo started at 8:15 with bloodwork to make sure my numbers were in range to get chemo.It was 10:30 before the Dr saw me and then I went back to get chemo only to be told I had to wait some more because the usual pharmacist was off for the day and the contractual pharmacist was not there at 7:30 (usual time for him to show up). At 8, he still wasn't there so they called him and he thought he was suppose to be there on Thursday instead of Wednsday! So, at 8, he was just leaving St. Louis. It was 7 pm before I got home last night. Thank goodness Pat actually cooked supper and had it just coming off the grill when I got home.More about my visit with the dr: My platelets were 92. IF they go below 50, they will not give me chemo until the number goes up. It might mean changing the Gemzar (which is one of the chemo drugs) to a lower dose until my number comes back up and then upping the Gemzar again. It is all a numbers game with your bloodwork. I hate the thought of lowering the Gemzar dose but I could "bleed out" if it is not controlled. I will make a call to Springfield and MD Anderson before I let Effingham change my dosage.....3 heads are better than one!! Dr. Dy has ordered bloodwork at RMH for next week to see if the platelets go lower or starts to build back up.
Good news.....I gained 2.4 pounds this past two weeks. It seems trivial to some but when you are fighting cancer, the last thing you want to do is lose too much weight.
More good news, my family (this includes my children, Pat's daughter Kate, all the boyfriends/spouses, and the little McKenna, plus Bill & Deb Weiler) will all trek out by plane or car to Nags Head, North Carolina for a week of R & R. I'll be the one covered in SPF50, a large brimmed hat, long sleeve shirt, and a book about cancer in my lap. Under a tent!!  Oh well...there have been two shark attacks in shallow water out in that area so it doesn't hurt my feelings to NOT be in the water 98 % of the time this year. We planned and put down a chunk of money for this place before I had my diagnosis or we might have re-thought our destination. Another good thing is I will go three weeks without a treatment which should also help build up my platelet count some more.
I want to give a big Thank You to Lori Harrison and Debbie Reed for volunteering to bring a meal over the weekend. I am sure by Sat/Sun. I will REALLY be thanking them!
I am going to leave you with a verse from a book I read every day from Beth Moore:
You say to me Lord, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made in weakness." Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Your power may rest on me.
You will never leave me, Lord. Never will You forsake me. You are the only absolute guarantee I have in all of life. Help me cling to the one thing I can never lose.
I hope you all have a great rest of the week and may God bless you and yours!
HUGS & PRAYERS,
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment